Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?
david
2024-02-25 04:02:01 UTC
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!

Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw

You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Nomen Nescio
2024-02-25 07:10:50 UTC
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/489FsG6L/google-groups-no-longer
-supports-new-usenet-posts-or-subscriptions-historical-content-remains
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
"I gue$$ they didn't care."

Capitalist cost cutting. There is no profit in providing a public
service as far as google is concerned. They did screw up. There were
many local governments using groups because it was convenient, private,
and useful information for insider trading was available for the taking.

google cut off their no$e to $pite their own face.
candycanearter07
2024-02-25 19:00:02 UTC
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Well, GG was also dead to them so.
2024-02-25 22:16:29 UTC
On 25 Feb 2024, candycanearter07
Post by candycanearter07
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/489FsG6L/google-groups-no-longe
r-supports-new-usenet-posts-or-subscriptions-historical-content-remain
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Well, GG was also dead to them so.
Trump should be announcing that Truth Social and Elon Musk have bought
Usenet from google any day now.

That would be funny as Hell if it ever happened. Feeds from Truth
Social and X, lots of new objective contributors.
Retro Guy
2024-02-25 22:23:42 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/489FsG6L/google-groups-no-longe
r-supports-new-usenet-posts-or-subscriptions-historical-content-remain
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Well, GG was also dead to them so.
Trump should be announcing that Truth Social and Elon Musk have bought
Usenet from google any day now.
It would be hard for Google to sell Usenet since they've never owned it.
Retro Guy
Scott Dorsey
2024-02-25 22:48:33 UTC
Post by Retro Guy
Post by a
Trump should be announcing that Truth Social and Elon Musk have bought
Usenet from google any day now.
It would be hard for Google to sell Usenet since they've never owned it.
That never stopped any of those folks. Or the people who have repeatedly
sold the Brooklyn Bridge. There's lots of money in the business of selling
stuff you don't own.
--scott
immibis
Some might even say it's the only way to get rich.
candycanearter07
2024-02-26 15:55:11 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.]
Post by immibis
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Retro Guy
Post by a
Trump should be announcing that Truth Social and Elon Musk have bought
Usenet from google any day now.
It would be hard for Google to sell Usenet since they've never owned it.
That never stopped any of those folks. Or the people who have repeatedly
sold the Brooklyn Bridge. There's lots of money in the business of selling
stuff you don't own.
--scott
Some might even say it's the only way to get rich.
Or you could get like, really lucky then exploit workers.
R Daneel Olivaw
2024-02-26 20:23:03 UTC
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Your premise is flawed, they used multiple accounts. The spammed
newsgroup I monitor had them changing accounts every three or four
messages (that's an approximation).
candycanearter07
2024-02-26 20:30:08 UTC
Post by R Daneel Olivaw
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Your premise is flawed, they used multiple accounts. The spammed
newsgroup I monitor had them changing accounts every three or four
messages (that's an approximation).
Maybe they also used a VPN to get around ip bans?
Retro Guy
2024-02-26 21:50:07 UTC
Post by R Daneel Olivaw
Post by david
I guess we know the answer to the question for sure now, don't we.
It *was* Google from whence all that spam was emanating after all!
Before: https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw
You'd think Google, of all outfits, would have figured out that
an account that sends a billion messages to any given newsgroup
is spamming that newsgroup. I guess they didn't care.
Your premise is flawed, they used multiple accounts. The spammed
newsgroup I monitor had them changing accounts every three or four
messages (that's an approximation).
One thing I did while generating nocems was add accounts (from
Injection-Info) to a spam rule if they exceeded trigger spam score by
(score X 3.5). So not all the spam, just the ones with a quite high spam
score value.

This ended up with 12,133 google-groups accounts in that rule over time.
candycanearter07